Skip to Main Content

My Dog Ate Gum: Is That Dangerous?

My Dog Ate Gum: Is That Dangerous?

It can be concerning for pet owners to notice that their dog has eaten gum. Today, our Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital vets explain what to do if your dog eats gum and when to seek emergency care.

What Happens When a Dog Eats Gum

If your dog has accidentally gotten into your gum package and eaten your gum, you are probably wondering what to do next, what to look out for, and if this is an emergency or not.

Your dog's digestive system is different from humans and gum is not something they should be ingesting. In a lot of cases, your dog will be perfectly fine after a piece of gum and will show no signs at all but there are cases where your dog can become very sick and need to see your Plains vets. Normally the issues are xylitol and the quantity of gum eaten.

What Is Xylitol?

  • Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, it is a kind of carbohydrate and does not contain alcohol.
  • Xylitol is a low-calorie sugar substitute. 
  • Xylitol occurs naturally in small amounts in fruits and vegetables, trees, corncobs, and even the human body.
  • Xylitol is a common ingredient in many products, including sugar-free chewing gum and toothpaste. People also use xylitol as a tabletop sweetener or in baking.
  • Manufacturers use xylitol as a sugar substitute because its sweetness is similar to table sugar but with fewer calories.

Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

The most common symptoms to watch out for after your dog has eaten some gum are:

  • Weakness
  • Stumbling
  • Tremors
  • Collapse
  • Seizures
  • Coma

When it Is an Emergency

If after eating your gum, your dog starts to become lethargic or weak, collapse or have trouble breathing, pale gums and vomiting or tremors or seizures it is time to bring your dog to Plains right away because these are signs of toxicity and that is an emergency.

Even if your dog is not exhibiting these symptoms it is a good idea to contact Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital to determine the next steps. They may want to monitor your dog as a precaution.

Since dogs are so curious, you may want to switch to gum without Xylitol in the future to avoid any serious issues.

Sugar-Free Gum Without Xylitol

If your dog eats gum without xylitol, your dog may end up with an upset stomach, especially if they ate a lot of it.

Keep a close eye on your dog because this gum may not be toxic but it does have other potential side effects if eaten including an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage in your dog include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain. 

What to Watch for in the First 30 Minutes to 1 Hour

You will need to watch your dog for about 24 hours after you discover that they have eaten your gum. The first 30 minutes to an hour is when the most serious symptoms will start to happen. The earlier you get your dog checked out by the vet the better chance your dog will not have any serious complications. 

It usually takes anywhere from 10-24 hours for something to pass through your dog's digestive system. Gum is almost impossible for the body to break down, so it must pass through your dog's system if swallowed. 

If your dog has eaten a lot of gum, it can cause a blockage in your dog's intestines, keeping other food from passing. This happens if your dog also consumes the gum's wrapper or packaging. It could take a few days for the signs of a blockage to become clear to you.

Symptoms of a blockage can include vomiting, abdominal tenderness, constipation, lack of appetite, or unusual behavior, so it can be hard to tell if your dog is sick or has a blockage. If your vet suspects a blockage, X-rays will be needed to determine the extent of the issue. The gum can become stuck and if that happens surgery will probably be required. 

If you notice the gum coming out of your dog's bum, do not attempt to pull it out. This could cause serious damage to your dog's intestinal tract. Take your dog to a vet where the object can be removed safely.

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Is your dog showing concerning signs after eating gum? Contact our Plains vets to have your pup cared for right away.

From Happy Pet Owners

  • This facility and their staff are absolutely top notch! Not only are they EXTREMELY knowledgeable, but they are a class act! I would HIGHLY recommend them for ANY of your pets!
    Shawn P.

(570) 208-8844