What Our Clients Are Saying…


My son found a stray black and white cat near our home. The cat was frail and cold. I’m a registered Nurse and could see the cat needed urgent care. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable which I very much appreciated. We named the cat Misty and she is doing well. She was diagnosed with malnutrition, dehydration, and hypothermia. Such wonderful staff who even notified me with smiley faces on the discharge paperwork that the cat was girl. Thank you all for the great care and for keeping the price reasonable since I was not the cats owner and simply rescued her from certain death had she spent another night out in the cold. Sincerely – Lisa Matschat


We came to Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital with a lot of uncertainty. Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic we noticed Lily was not acting herself. She was shivering, sleeping more, losing weight, and not interested in playing with her toys. Given the uncertainty of the times we were anxious to bring her in for care. We couldn’t have been more pleased with our decision. Although we couldn’t go into the office with Lily we were met with compassionate and helpful staff, received phone call updates and thorough information from the veterinarian and staff, and were so pleased with the care. Lily ultimately was diagnosed with Lyme disease but with prompt treatment we noticed her symptoms beginning to improve in just 48 hours. — Justine Samanas


Brady was brought to the clinic after I noticed blood in his urine. After consulting with his vet we were referred to NVRH for care. The staff was great and very knowledgeable. Brady was in and out of the clinic within an hour after having x-rays, a urine specimen, and medication given. Highly recommended! Thank you so much. — Tiffany Doran


NVRH is an excellent hospital. Staff and doctors are friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable. I have brought my dogs here for emergencies and accidents for the past several years. Most recently, my Staffardshire Terrier, Dexter, tore his CCL. He had surgery 12/26/19 and is doing great! Dr. Hassinger is an amazing surgeon and I would not consider going anywhere else! Thank You NVRH!  — Lori Wolf


The Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital is a tremendous source of hope in an otherwise difficult and uncertain time. I have been referred twice to the hospital, and found great comfort when every Veterinarian I spoke with all referred me to the same hospital. The compassion, caring, and patience of the staff from reception to the vets themselves are only surpassed by their detailed, thorough and complete analysis of every facet of my pets care, and the explanation of the findings, costs,  and recommendations leave no stone unturned. Our pets are more than pets; they are family.  NVRH knows this and by treating them as such is a beacon of hope in the midst of the darkness. Lily and I thank them, and would recommend them without hesitation. — Kurt Sussman


Tigger had just turned 14 years old when I noticed him drinking more water and having constant hunger that alerted me to the possibility that something was wrong. I felt it may have been hyperthyroidism or possibly diabetes. Over the course of a week, he began having constant vomiting after eating and had progressive loose stools that became diarrhea and had specks of blood in them. Things progressed quickly with more bouts and he became listless. I felt that he was becoming dehydrated and would need quick intervention. Then I noticed my two other cats getting sick also. I took him to the Northeast Veterinary hospital after a phone call to tell them we were on our way. He was seen promptly and he had lab testing and an x-ray to determine what all was going on with him. I was told by the vet that he was indeed hyperthyroid and also had a virus and he was given much needed fluids to help rehydrate him. I had taken him home and he did improve each day with his medication. I was so relieved to be able to have this option for emergency care, I would have hated to wait any longer for his care. I want to thank the staff who are always patient and understanding. Our pets mean the world to us and I know they are in good care when I go there. Thank you all for a job well done! — Eileen Younker


We were referred to NVRH by our veterinarian for a lipoma on his chest that started to impend our dogs movement. Dr. Hassinger was highly recommended by our veterinarian to perform his surgery due to the risks that could effect his ability to walk if done incorrectly. As soon we came for the consultation we were always greeted by friendly staff who obviously loved their jobs and wanted to help. The staff always referred to us as “Yogi’s mom and dad” which makes you feel they understand how much our animal is a part of our family. The day of the surgery went very well, Dr. Hassinger updated us with the surgery results very timely which put us at ease. The staff explained the recovery time, post-operative instructions in detail and most importantly took excellent care of Yogi while he was there! Yogi had a very fast recovery and is now able to have his full range of motion and live his normal life again. Thank you again for the wonderful staff at NVRH who took care of our baby! — Lindsey Kavalow


Clayton is a very active 6 year old lab mix that loves chasing trucks up and down the yard. When he started limping Dr. Noto referred me to NVRH to talk with Dr. Hassinger. Dr. Hassinger performed a lateral imbrication on Clayton and he is currently recovering. Everyone at the hospital was kind and they walked me through the estimate, procedure, and medications thoroughly. I dropped Clayton off at 8am, Dr. Hassinger called me at Noon and Clayton was home by 3:30pm the same day. While we were in the waiting room on the day of surgery one of the other “parents” told me his dog had the same procedure done there and I shouldn’t worry because I am at the best place. I also know someone that traveled from Sunbury PA to have a procedure done at NVRH. I would recommend their services. — Christina DeAlba


Our pet was in immediate need of medical attention. Our vet was closed. We have taken our animals to you in previous times. That is why we elected to bring our cat up there. It was good that we did so, because your doctor’s test revealed a diabetes problem among other things. We were treated with courtesy and well informed of the necessary steps to take from here on. We made an appointment at our vet and Rascal is now on the needed medication and diet. Thank you for your concern. – Donna & Jim dePrisco


On Sunday 2/3/19, our little Terrier, Holly,tore her dew claw. She didn’t want anyone to touch her paw or even look at it. We brought her to the Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital . They immediately took her under their control, managing to control her pain, letting them remove and bandage it. We are very grateful for the concern they showed and how they totally handled everything very professionally and quickly. She is healing quite well and is almost back to her old self except for constantly showing us her bandaged paw. She loves all of the attention she is getting! Thank you again for all you did to make her comfortable.  — Pat Confer


I recently acquired OJ, a sweet, loveable, 3 year old male kitty. His previous owner didn’t report any health issues with him prior so I was in no rush to get him established with a Vet. A few months after I got him I noticed that he would pee on the floor every so often. I thought nothing of it and chalked it up to the stress of him moving into a new home. I then noticed him straining to urinate and crying in pain and knew that something was seriously wrong. Since he was not established with a veterinarian, NVRH was my only option. OJ was diagnosed with a urinary blockage and required a 5 night stay in the ICU with a catheter. He ultimately required a perineal urethrostomy to correct the problem. The front desk staff was both kind and courteous and the medical staff was compassionate and knowledgeable. I was able to visit him whenever I wanted and staff always kept me updated on his condition. The physicians were wonderful and called me at least twice a day with updates. I can’t say enough good things about NVRH. I would recommend this facility to anyone who has a pet with an emergent or surgical issue. Special thanks to Dr. Phillips, Dr. Manning, Dr. Nord, Dr. Hassinger and all the other staff who took care of OJ on his journey back to health. I don’t know what I would do without my best friend and I am so grateful! — Michelle Schmid


We thought she bit her tongue or it was something minor. My husband took her right to our vet and they kept her thru the day. Did blood work on her and they sent her home later that day. They had given her medicine to stop the bleeding and see if it would clot. This continued thru Tuesday and into Wednesday which was very alarming to us. I called our vet and told her the medicine was not working and it was not stopping at all. She suggested Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital at this point. I called the hospital and was told to bring her right in. The staff was waiting for us to arrive and took care of Cocoa immediately. The doctor on duty did some blood work letting us know it was not good news. Cocoa had no platelet count and very little red blood cell count in her body. She explained to us a plan of treatment for Cocoa at the time and made sure we understood what was going on. She was very compassionate and caring. On Thursday morning Cocoa had received chemo and then a blood transfusion. She was in guarded condition at this point. The doctor kept in contact with us every step of her treatment and explained the process. We were able to visit with Cocoa on Friday and it was a very emotional time for all of us. Cocoa was slowly recovering and was diagnosed with Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia (ITP) and being anemic. She did have a history of Megaesophagus but that had seemed to have gone away. The bleeding of the gums had stopped and she was being monitored closely. Tick titers showed a positive lyme titer but were otherwise negative. Abdominal ultrasound was normal. She was in the hospital for seven days and we were then able to bring her home. Her treatment for this disease is steroids and other medications. To date no cause has been found to explain what had caused her condition. Dr. Robert Runde, Internal Medicine doctor is currently treating Cocoa for this disease. He has given her excellent care and has made sure we have been informed on every step of her treatment. The staff at Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital has been very helpful each time we were there and have gone above and beyond what was needed to comfort us. Cocoa is recovering at home and seems to be doing well for now. She will continue to have further monitoring and recheck appointments with Dr. Robert Runde, Internal Medicine.  — LoriAnn McAndrew


Pepper tried to eat a bee. Of course, she got stung and had a very bad allergic reaction. Northeast Veterinary Hospital took her right back and gave her the best care. They were patient with my crazy ramblings and treated my family with care and a soft voice. Pepper is doing great and knows to stay away from bees! — Elizabeth Poor


Yeti came to me as a puppy when he was 9 weeks old, given away by his original family after just a few days. His first exam visit revealed some significant cardiac issues, and I was referred to Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital by my primary veterinarian. Yeti was examined by Dr. Goodwin a number of times between December 2016 and June 2017. Dr. Goodwin recommended he undergo a balloon valvuloplasty procedure, which was done in late July. The procedure went smoothly and Yeti is now doing very well. My experience at Northeast Veterinary has definitely been very positive. Not just with Dr. Goodwin, but with all members of his support team as well. Everything was explained thoroughly, a clear plan was implemented, and I always felt we were in very capable hands throughout the entire process. I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome, and I highly recommend Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital. — Craig Cirelli


Lucy was recently taken to NVRH. She was having diarrhea and could not use her rear legs to get up. We took her to the hospital and found out she had a gastrointestinal infection. She was also alightly dehydrated. The experience we had at the hospitral was wonderful. They took great care of Lucy. We were called several times to give us an update on her progress. They gave her IC fluids and she was given different medicines. Lucy saw Dr. Leonard. She was very good at explaining Lucy’s condition and helping Lucy feel 100% better. I also would liek to say that the receptionist, Anita, was so helpful when we called the hospital and when Lucy was brought into the hospital. We brought Lucy to the NVRH because Lucy visited Plains Animal Hospital for her vet visits. Everyone at NVRH were so informing , friendly and understanding to my pet’s needs. I would recommend this hospital to anyone who needs emergency care for their pet. — Kimberly Schultz


I wanted to take the time to write a “Thank you!” to the staff of Northeast Veterinary Referral And Emergency Hospital. On July 4th , Sasha, a 3 year old Labrador/Akita/Boxer mix, experienced an injury to her tail. The cause of the injury was unknown at the time. She had no visible marks or swelling yet she was in obvious pain and was holding her tail straight down and could not sit. Since it was late in the day, and a holiday, our regular veterinarian was unavailable. My friend has used Northeast Veterinary Referral And Emergency Hospital before and recommended that we go there. Upon arrival we were attended to immediately and Sasha was taken to be checked out. Dr. Frank von Esse examined her and after getting what details I was able to supply felt that she was suffering from something called “limber tail or swimmers tail”. While I’ve heard of this I had no idea what it was. After a detailed description of this, it seemed to make perfect sense. Thinking about his diagnosis, all of Sasha’s weekend activities seemed to set the stage for just this type of injury. Sasha is a very active dog. Between a weekend of playing with other dogs, extended swimming, and several classes ( nose work and rally), she had quite a workout and was tired. At the time of the injury, she was resting quietly and sprung up to greet new people coming into the yard. She “yelped” and yet there didn’t seem to be anything that could have caused this. It was explained to me that this is like a muscle pull or strain, similar to what an athlete might get if they go right into activity without warming up first. Dr. von Esse answered all of my questions and gave very specific instructions, which were printed out for me, on how to care for her. Between medication and lots of rest, she should make a complete recovery. As he told me, within days, she seemed fine again. Now the hard part begins, keeping her quiet for the full two weeks. Everyone that we encountered, the people who admitted us, Dr. von Esse, and the people who discharged us, were caring and professional. Thank you all for making a scary situation as comfortable as possible for both Sasha and me. — John Kardel


After complications following surgery for dog bloat our vet recommended Northeast to treat him. From the moment we arrived with Murphy , our 4 year old labradoodle, we realized the high quality of care he would receive. Dr. Von Esse explainedthe treatment Murphy would receive, and made us fully understand his condition. Dr. Clarke called us regularly with udpates. Murphy spent two days at Northeast and has fully recovered from this critical condition. We are so appreciative to have our Murphy well, happy and back to his playful self. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. — Lee Ann Stokes


Quickly found Pepper hiding, which is not normal for heart us.Her abdomen was bloated and she was whimpering in pain. She did not want to be snuggled and was growling in pain. She had no health problems so we knew something was up. Our first thought was to take her to NVRH. Two coworkers of mine had positive experiences at NVRH, so off we went. It was about 10pm when we arrived. The staff was absolutely wonderful from the minute we stepped in the door! While I was filling out Pepper’s paperwork, I observed a couple that has just lost a pet. — Jill Holcomb


Angelo had been rescued as a stray and within a few days got very sick. I rushed him to NVRH and after diagnostics was informed that he has Distemper with very slim odds of survival. I just couldn’t “not try”. Dr Nord admitted Angelo to the hospital and setup a plan to proceed. Dr. Nord, Dr Clarke and Dr. Martin worked around the clock along with all the nurses and staff to save my sweet Angelo’s life. He is doing so well now and I am grateful everyday that NVRHwas there to help us. — Brenda Bartlett


Northeast Veterinary Hospital was a godsend. When Cinder had bleeding after surgery and required a emergency blood tranfusion, they were our heroes. The care Cinder received was amazing and now she is back to her wild self. Thank you everyone at the hospital for saving my baby! — Kaitlyn Moran


I am new to the Pittston Pennsylvania area. A couple weeks ago, around midnight, my dog’s anal sac spontaneously ruptured. He had an opened wound and was bleeding on the floor. He means the world to us and did not look like he was doing well. Recently moving from a more rural area, I was doubtful I would find a facility that could care for him at this hour. I got online and found the Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital. They had excellent reviews. I called them and they told me that my dog could be seen right away. Within 10 minutes I was there. As a physician myself, I was impressed with the facility, cleanliness, compassion the staff showed, and with their sense of urgency. My beloved dog was promptly triaged/provided with pain control and care. Moments later the veterinary doctor was updating me on his status. She was very caring, knowledgable, and took excellent care of my dog. Additionally, the wait time and the compassion, was much better then what I was used to from other routine Veterinary visits at other facilities. He is back to his normal, happy, playful, self. Thank you so much for treating our family member like one of your own! We give the Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital our highest recommendation. They will provide your beloved pet with excellent Emergency care like they did for ours.


We had to bring our dog, Onyx, to a hospital because her regular vet was pretty sure she’d torn her cruciate ligament and they’re not equipped to handle that. We brought Onyx to NVRH because she’d seen Dr. McBrien there about 4 years ago and he was wonderful. Dr Hassinger did Onyx’s surgery this time, it was clear he’s very knowledgable on the subject and that he really cares about Onyx. All of the staff at NVRH have been very helpful and that really made this entire process as painless as possible! — Liana Lang

Bentley and Penny

On March 4th our Vet, Dr. Valese was out and I called Andrew Church who referred me to your hospital. My dogs, Bentley and Penny were having issues with excessive (extreme) thirst (need for water) and no real interest in eating their meals. Thank god I decided not to wait until Monday. They were taken in for blood work and my husband and I met with Dr. Phillips and discussed all that was occurring with both dogs. I also disclosed my greatest fear that they ingested poison. On February 26th my husband had gone into the crawl space to change the water filter and the dogs had followed him. An exterminator had treated my crawl space in late December for mice and squirrel infestation. When the test results came in, Dr. Phillips told us of the findings making my concerns true. — Monica and Dan Gallagher


I was referred to NVRH by the Wallenpaupack Animal Clinic. My 13 year old cat, Phoebe, had a badly infected tumor on her back leg. The clinic was unable to perform an amputation because she was so anemic and needed a transfusion and 24 hour care. Thus, they sent me to NVRH with assurances that you were both knowledgeable and compassionate. The operation was successful and Phoebe returns tomorrow to have her stitches removed and to get an explanation of the pathology report. I can’t say enough about the fantastic communication system that NVRH has. I received phone calls about her progress. I was able to call anytime if I had questions about home care. I even received calls from the surgeon, Jessica Kinsey, related to Phoebe ‘s health. I would certainly recommend this group to anyone who is looking for an animal hospital that goes out of their way to make both the pet and the pet’s guardian comfortable. You get five stars in my book! — Frankie Crookes


It was a normal day going to work, Cosmo was jumping around as usual as we departed. When I arrived at work something felt different. Then I realized I never took my pills for the day, I left them on the table. Immediately I left work and came home. I looked for my pills, HBP, water, arthritis and U.T.D, but they were gone. I noticed one of the chairs was moved. Cosmo took my pills! I called animal poison control. They advised going to a vet hospital quickly. We did, to the Northeast Veterinary Hospital. They took our Cosmo and treated him for 2 days, gave him IV’s & medicine for what he ate of mine, and blood work. All I can say is thank you Dr. Martin and your entire staff. I don’t know how much danger Cosmo was in, but all of you gave us back a healthy Cosmo for which my wife and myself will be forever grateful. — David Sedorovich


We first took Queenie to our veterinarian, Dr Stair. After examining Queenie, Dr Stair stated that there was a tumor on the left side of Queenie’s neck. Dr Stair referred us to NVRH for further evaluation. We contacted NVRH and an appointment was given very quickly. Upon arrival at NVRH, we were greeted by numerous staff members. We cannot say enough about them. They were very friendly and compassionate towards both us and Queenie. They did not rush us in any way. If we had specific questions, they took the time to answer all of them. We then met with Dr Jessica Kinsey in reference to a biopsy and surgery. Dr Kinsey was very kind and considerate. Dr Kinsey took the time to speak with us and showed tenderness and caring to Queenie. We cannot say enough about Dr Kinsey and every staff member we had interaction with at the facility. We highly recommend NVRH. — Paul Roberts

Killian and Waffles

Our Veterinarian, Dr. Mark Stair is a remarkable GP for our pets, but always encourages us to seek out the services of NVRH for emergency, acute, and specialized pet medicine. We have used your services in the past for our 10 year old cocker spaniel “Waffles” when Dr. Stair suspected a ‘mass’ in his abdomen and it was confirmed he had a rather large tumor on his spleen. Doctors at NVRH examined “Waffles” and gave us the facts regarding his disease, prognosis, and what we could reasonably expect from any treatment and his quality-of-life end of days. NVRH treated both my wife and I and “Waffles” with exceptional care and dignity. “Waffles” survived for the months NVRH vets had predicted, but his days were extremely happy and fulfilled, right to the end! So were OURS! We knew from that experience we could TRUST NVRH with all our and our pet’s needs… Our current ‘patient’ remains our 17 year old orange tabby cat “Killian” who is suffering from urinary and kidney problems. His story is on-going… But will likely make 19… 🙂 — Joe Supulski


We brought Harvi to Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital in Plains on October 14th,2016 after she had been sick for about 5 days with what we thought was a stomach bug. That night she suffered a seizure and, even though she has been diagnosed with epilepsy for two years prior and was taking medication for it, she hadn’t had one for almost 2 years so we were very concerned. — Kelly Vinnacombe


Madison was paralyzed in March for unknown reasons. Had her to several vets and a Neurologist. Neurologist advised it was not worth doing an MRI to find the problem. Whatever it was would need surgery and he was 99% sure she would never walk again. He even suggested euthanasia. I decided to try hydrotherapy at Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital and we did accupuncture as well. Madison was back on her feet in no time walking by herself again. — Kristen Bauchspies


I noticed a small lump on Mittany’s left side near his lowest rib while petting him. On his next visit to the vet, I showed it to her and she suggested an xray of the area and a needle aspiration. When the results came back from the lab, they were not conclusive or reassuring. My vet suggested a biopsy to take the whole thing out. My husband and I were concerned but not sure about what to do because of Mittany’s age. He was at least 12 years old. I felt we had to do something. While we were mulling over our options with Mittany, another of our cats had some very alarming changes in his health and we took him to our local vet. After doing all the tests they could, they recommended that we take him to Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital for advanced testing that very night. After several hours there, we realized that we had advanced diagnosis and care options close to home and we made an appointment to go over Mittany’s situation with an internist, Dr Runde. After several tests, Dr. Runde was not sure what was going on with Mittany so he recommended a surgical consultation with Dr. Jessica Kinsey. That’s when we started to learn about vaccination associated sarcomas. Dr. Kinsey gave us several options. We decided to go with an incisional biopsy in the hopes of a clear diagnosis. Dr Kinsey explained that vaccination associated sarcomas require large margins to be successful because of the way that they spread. During the biopsy, she drew an outline of the size of incision Mittany would have so we could have something concrete to visualize. It was large. The biopsy was still not conclusive but pointing more toward a diagnosis of some kind of sarcoma. At that point, we were concerned about Mittany’s age with such a long surgery ahead of him and his ability to recover. We spoke several times with Dr. Kinsey and she was able to reassure us that Mittany had more pluses than minuses as a surgical candidate. We were impressed with Dr. Kinsey’s experience and knowledge on the subject. Mittany had his surgery on August 3, 2016 and came home August 5. After he came home, the staff continued to call for updates on his progress. He never had problems with his bandages and has continued to heal and has resumed all his “cat” activities in a little over a month. We are very grateful to Dr. Runde and Dr. Kinsey and all the staff at Northeast Veterinary Referral Hospital for the wonderful care they gave our precious boy. From the doctors to the veterinary techs to the receptionists, it was very apparent that these people love animals. That makes such a difference to the animals and their owners. We are glad everyday that we took the informed chance to give Mittany a longer life with us. — Jan H. Ambrutis


Lex had surgery to repair his right knee several years ago. He ultimately tore the ACL and Meniscus in his left knee. My wife and I explored a couple different options. Our conversation with Dr. Hassinger was both informative and put our mind at ease that NE Vet was the best option. The surgery was explained to us in detail. All prices were upfront and ultimately came in lower than quoted. Four short weeks after Lex had his knee repaired he was visiting the staff at the rehab center at NE Vet. They were wonderful. He was at full speed in two months. The follow up by the staff was above and beyond. — Morrell Devlin


Jack hurt his right hind leg playing with our cat and was limping bad. He could not put much weight on it. He took the prescribed meds and we rested him. He is now doing fine. — Tony Prudente


I just wanted to send an update regarding our dog, Brewsky, who was treated there after being hit on July 2nd. He is doing fabulous! I’ve attached a video of his most recent progress. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped care for him during such a critical time especially Dr. Yamaguchi, Dr. Von Esse, and Dr. Leonard. — Erin Charnick


Bella was recently hospitalized and found to have severe anemia, shortness of breath, and anorexia. She went from glorious 5 mile walks with her partner-in-crime, Cooper, to being unable to stand or walk within a matter of days. Thanks to the stellar care by Dr. Runde and the rest of the staff at NVRH, Bella is again joining Cooper for long walks, finding mischief around the house and in terrorizing their feline friend, Oliver. With NVRH’s continued support, I feel confident Bella will celebrate her 11th birthday in November – something I wasn’t sure about only a few short weeks ago. Thank you! — Tim Moran